By now you guys know that I tend to hold onto items for a really long time. In fact, I have a whole collection of blazers from 5+ years ago that I'm still rocking today. Take this jacket from H&M - I bought it in 2006, haven't worn it in ages, but decided to bust it out of the closet today! How did I know I would wear this again? Check out my tips below for cleaning out your closet and what to keep/what to toss. But first...
- If something is ripped, stained or worn out.
- If you are only holding onto it for sentimental reasons.
- If something doesn't fit you size-wise. (one exception: if it can be used for maternity wear later on)
- If something doesn't fit you style-wise. Pants often don't keep well, because the styles change (skinny, flare, etc.) so I don't generally hold onto them for very long.
- If you don't love it anymore. (we all grow out of our younger styles eventually!)
- If you still really love it, the fit is great, it just feels out of date. Keep it - it will probably come back into style!
- If it's a high quality item such as a blazer, coat or shoes (only keep the shoes if they are in excellent condition though!).
- If it's a unique item such as a beaded top or special occasion dress.