I am so gaga for this hat. I want to wear it everywhere, but my gut is telling me that wool, wide brim hats won't work for every situation. If I lived in a big city, I would wear it all over the place - commuting, walking home, outdoor shopping. But my reality in the suburbs may call for some slightly different rules.
- Driving. I test drove this hat (literally) and I felt like my peripheral vision suffered, which is unsafe, so I took it off.
- Shopping. Can you wear one of these inside a grocery store? Ikea? the mall? When it's dark outside or only in the daytime? I would play this one by ear.
- Meals. Is it bad etiquette to wear a hat during a meal? (Or even just cumbersome?) I think it depends on the restaurant, the weather, your mood, how bad your hat head is. Also play by ear.
- Meetings. Similar to sunglasses, wearing a hat this big felt funny when meeting someone new, like I was hiding my face under a shadow, so I removed it.
- Outside. This is the one occasion I think for sure works. These types of hats keep the sun out of your eyes and in general they feel right at home outdoors. Even meals, when dining al fresco.
What are your experiences with wearing hats? When do you take them off and leave them on?
Tunic: Varga Store c/o, $47
Leggings: Lauren Conrad/Kohl's, $8
Hat: Varga Store c/o, $40
Purse: Vince Camuto, $112 (also here)
Shoes: Chinese Laundry c/o DNA Footwear, $83
Nail polish: Essie "Wicked"
Necklaces: My Stella & Dot 1, 2, 3
Bracelets: My Stella & Dot 1, 2, 3, 4
Rings: My Stella & Dot 1, 2
Approx. dates: Pretty much everything (minus jewelry) is new. That never happens.