Dress: Milly c/o Kohl's (using an old gift card)
Shoes: Enzo Angiolini/Piperlime, $32 (similar, similar, similar)
Purse: Gap, $16 (similar, similar, similar)
Necklace: My Stella & Dot
Approx. dates: Purse, shoes are 3 years ago. Dress is new (returning).
When you love something so much you buy it twice, aka multiples. Whether it's the same item in different colors, or a print or shape that's similar, when is it wise to invest... again? I fell in love with the dress on the right via this review, but once it landed in my closet I noticed the print is really similar to my dress from a couple years ago (left). Should I keep it? Here are the pros and cons of buying multiples:
1. The original item has withstood the test of time, so you already know you love it.
2. Sometimes one item is appropriate for one occasion that the other won't work for.
3. A true multiple - the exact item - can be a replacement when one wears out.
4. Adopting a "uniform" and wearing similar styles can make getting dressed even faster/easier.
1. It's almost impossible not to favor one multiple over the other. Is it the new item or the old item you will like more though?
2. Instead of buying more of the same, you can diversify and buy a new shape or print you've never worn - and may wind up liking that new item even better.
3. Your item may be so similar that you're the only one that realizes you're not repeating outfits.
Ultimately, as much as I love this Milly dress, the two dresses would be appropriate for the same types of occasions, and I will always favor the original more. What's your policy on buying multiples?