The truth is, I don't always 100% love the outfits I post. Sometimes they have flaws - flaws which I'm often quick to point out and discuss within the post! While that can be a bit unconventional for a style blog, I wouldn't want it any other way. Here's why I post imperfect outfits:
- My opinion is not the only one that matters! Other people might like it and that's awesome.
- Fashion opinions are fluid. I may like something one week but not the next and vice versa, so even if I liked it once that could change.
- I enjoy the vulnerability of sharing the whole story - not just the perfect parts - on social media.
- I'm operating from an actual person's closet, not a magazine! I'm on a limited budget and have self-imposed sponsor constraints (I don't accept free items for regular blog posts the way magazines and many bloggers do). I post 20-25 "new" outfits each month using my own closet; it's not easy!
- I hope it's inspiring. All my bad outfits over the years lead to lots of improvement. I like my style so much better today, and that's because I kept trying! If you're going for a home run record, you're always going to have strike-outs, because it means you'll have to swing harder and more often.
- There's so much to be learned from the examples that don't work (why something didn't fit, or colors were off, etc.), often even more so than the ones that do work.
- I'm all sorts of human over here, and not even close to perfect, so my outfits are too.
About today's look: I threw it together at a moment's notice and though it gets points for being office-friendly and it's certainly creative, it's also perhaps a little too busy. Each element is super cute but together something feels off? I leave it up to you guys!!
Top: LOFT, $23 (also a dress)
Pants: LOFT, $35 (also comes in red)
Cardigan: H&M, $25 (similar below)
Scarf: H&M, $6 (similar below)
Shoes: Jessica Simpson, $59 (similar, similar, similar)
Purse: Aldo/Amazon, $40 (similar, similar)
Earrings: My Stella & Dot
Approx. dates: Cardigan is 7 years ago. Shoes are 4 years ago. Purse is 3 years ago. Top, pants, scarf are new.