|My eyes: one is brown, one is green!|
Blogging about fashion, I get tons of style questions. A close second is definitely questions about my makeup and hair though. I'm often asked about my beauty routine and why I usually wear my hair down, so today I decided to spill the beans! (Along the same lines of this post: "My Fitness Story") I think some of these facts may surprise you, and I have even been known to share a couple of the more shocking ones as entertainment at parties (j/k). I love feminine dresses, shoes, and clothes of every kind. But when it comes to beauty and hair, I have always felt like a bit of a Plain Jane, and I think I might be missing a girlie gene. For example:
- I've never painted my fingernails.
- I've never done anything to my eyebrows like waxing, plucking, etc.
- I've had one pedicure and hated it. (My toes are always painted, but I do it myself.)
- I've never had a facial or a massage.
- I wore fake eyelashes once in my life, and didn't love it. (Applied by a pro, but they hurt.)
- I've used the same type of eyeliner since 8th grade.
- My makeup routine takes less than 5 minutes, and I never change it unless I'm going out at night or appearing on TV. (Watch the video here.)
- I've never used self-tanner or spray tan. (I also don't use tanning beds, and I'm very strict about SPF, especially since I live in Florida. That skin color you see is all natural!)
- My hair is naturally wavy and super-thick. Most days I just wash it, throw it up, and never even blow dry it. (You can see an example of how I wear it below, but I try not to take blog pics that way b/c it might scare the children.)
- If I actually do get around to blow drying and straightening, I leave my hair down. Partly because I like it down, partly because I don't know how to do it, and partly because it's so thick it gives me headaches when I wear it up for too long.
- I've been adding highlights since 10th grade, after an unfortunate at-home coloring experiment, and have been a "slave" to highlights ever since. I'm currently trying to grow them out in hopes of a more natural look!
That said, while I always believe in improvement and experimenting, I'm also comfortable with keeping my look the same! There is some part of me that is terrified of looking like Snooki, and I really prefer to stick to what works. (I tried a smokey eye once and didn't like the pictures afterwards.) I have always felt that keeping my hair and makeup neutral, feels the most like "me" and creates a blank canvas for my clothes. I feel confident with 5 minutes of makeup, and that anything else (like fancy hair or colorful makeup) is a distraction, and takes away from whatever natural beauty I may have been blessed with (rather than enhancing it, which is how I think makeup should be and how I try to apply it). I never want to look overdone, especially since I'm often wearing crazy outfits, and I feel like "plain" hair and makeup balances it out, and I prefer to play it safe. Or maybe I'm just making excuses for being lazy. One of the two. ;-)
You may also like this post: "My Fitness Story."