Today's photos were taken at a place near and dear to my heart, Crossroads Corral! It's a nonprofit that my amazing friend Lindsay started with a colleague 9 months ago. She quit her job, earned her Certification for Equine Assisted Learning and Psychotherapy, filled the barn with 7 horses (including 1 mini named Moose!) and now spends her time providing free equine events, seminars and therapy for youth, veterans, women and families.
Watching Lindsay's passion in action over the last 9 months has been nothing short of inspiring!! Crossroads Corral is a beautiful backdrop for photos, but it's also the reason I'm feeling EXTRA inspired to give back this holiday season. JJ and I came up with this list below - our goal is to do at least 15 of these before the end of the year!
20 Ways to Give Back This Holiday Season
1. Deliver baked goods or candies to your neighbors or local fire station.
2. Visit homeless people in your community - bring them socks, scarves or coats.
3. Bless your waiter, waitress or another service provider with a big tip.
4. Identify a family or two in your community who had a hard year. Leave an envelope of money on their doorstep - ring the doorbell - and run!
5. Call or pay a visit to someone elderly in your community or family.
6. Donate non-perishable food items to a food bank.
7. Run an errand for a busy mom or someone who is ill.
8. Leave cheerful post-it notes in a public bathroom or on someone's car.
9. Send an email or social media post to encourage someone who inspires you.
10. Sponsor a child in a third world country.
11. Donate blood.
12. Volunteer to feed the homeless at your local soup kitchen.
13. Participate in a "Giving Tree" where you select a child and buy them holiday gifts.
14. Regift any gift cards that have gone unused all year to someone who really needs it.
15. Gather unused clothing and household items and donate them to your local Goodwill.
16. Pay for the person behind you in line at a coffee shop or drive thru.
17. Make a charitable donation to your favorite cause, or ask family members to do the same in lieu of holiday gifts for you.
18. Donate your time to a local charity.
19. Make Christmas cards and drop them off at a children's hospital.
20. Attend a holiday event or gala where ticket sales benefit a charity.
*Bonus challenge: invite friends, family and children to join you in completing this list.... and to do them year round, not just during the holidays!
I would love to hear your suggestions on things to add to our list, as well as stories of things you've done in the past. #4 is my personal favorite - I surprised two families that I don't know two years ago on Christmas Day and it's still one of my favorite memories. Please feel free to leave your suggestions and stories below! I'm so excited to spread some holiday cheer!!
Top: Old Navy, $17 (similar, similar, similar)
Jeans: H&M, $32 (similar, similar)
Belt: H&M, $20
Boots: Michael Kors/Macy's, $225 (same, similar)
Purse: Michael Kors/Macy's, $220
Necklaces: My Stella & Dot 1, 2
Approx. dates: Belt is 8 years ago. Jeans and top are 3 years ago. Boots are 1 year ago. Purse is recent.
Photos by my husband. Shot on location at Crossroads Corral.